⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] staggered grids

From: Jonathan Gregory <jonathan.gregory>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:23:51 +0100

Dear John

> Is there a special way in CF to describe staggered grids, ie certain
> variables in the dataset are defined at midpoints and others on the
> edges of the same grid? I know thats a common situation in models, and
> specifically we are looking at the WRF model with this feature.

This is a common situation, indeed. There is no special way to describe this
in CF. That is, the grids are described as usual by separate sets of
coordinate variables.

The information on how the grids relate to one another (e.g. Arakawa B grid
or C grid) is "higher level". It is not needed, for instance, for plotting
or processing individual data variables. In which situations would one need
to know it? If it is required, perhaps some use could be made of grid_mapping
variables to record the relationship. I know this would be an extension to
their use, but it strikes me that they might in general serve a purpose of
recording "higher level" information about coordinate "systems".