⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] HDF netCDF merger?

From: Russ Rew <russ>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:08:28 -0700

Hi Karl,

> I have heard that the following proposal was funded by NASA:
>
> * Russell Rew (University Corporation for Atmospheric
> Research/National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder,
> Colo.): Merging the NetCDF and HDF5 Libraries to Achieve
> Gains in Performance and Interoperability

We learned of this news yesterday afternoon. It was a surprise
because the selections were originally scheduled to be announced on
January 24. We hadn't heard anything until yesterday, so were not
very hopeful.

> Does this mean that in the future it will be possible to write netCDF files
> efficiently on massively parallel machines? Anyone know anything
> about this and its implications for CF?

Yes, writing netCDF files efficiently using parallel I/O is one of the
goals of the proposed effort. More information about this, including
a link to the proposal description and to the NASA press release is
available here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

--Russ

Russ Rew UCAR Unidata Program