⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Re: GDV convention

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:31:01 -0700

Heiko Klein wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> at the norwegian meteorological institute, we think about changing our
> internal datatype to netCDF. I have seen the GDV convention and the
> description seems to fit our data-needs, in particular, because it
> offers the possibility to save data in stereographic projection.
>
> What I do not understand is how the coordinate axes have to be
> implemented for stereographic projections. How can I give x and y km
> units, when the distance of x1 and x2 depends on the y-value?
>
> It would be easier for me to understand the concept, if you could give
> me the possibility to download some example files of the GDV convention.
>
> I tried to download some files from the IDV-program, but recognized,
> that IDV-files (from motherload) don't use a convention at all.
>
> I hope you can help me further, or you may send this email further to
> people who might help me.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Heiko

Hi Heiko:

We are not currently recommending GDV Conventions, because we hope that
the CF Conventions become widely adopted, especially for model data.
They are in the process of adding support for data projections;
hopefully that will be finalized soon.

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/index.html

With regard to " x and y km units, when the distance of x1 and x2
depends on the y-value". Typically the x and y are independent when they
are expressed in units of "km on the projection plane". The lat and lon
are then functions of both x and y, eg lat(x, y) and lon(x,y). I will
see what examples I can find.

I am forwarding this message to the CF discussion group, perhaps someone
has an example of this in CF?