⇐ ⇒

Fwd: [CF-metadata] projections

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:00:06 -0700

Jonathan Gregory wrote:

> Dear John
>
> Many thanks for your email about projections. I agree that we haven't done
> enough on this yet.
>

>>1) i would prefer to use existing "authorities" such as FGDC to name the
>>projections.
>>

> It is useful to base our standard on existing standards such as FGDC - thanks
> for suggesting it. Doing so saves thinking and confusion. However, I would
> prefer not to give "authority" to something outside our standard. I'm happier
> to adopt/adapt parts of other standards into CF as the need arises for them,
> because as we do so we can satisfy ourselves (a) that the definition is clear
> and (b) that we need it. We shouldn't make CF unnecessarily complicated by
> importing many projections that are not actually used in our field - I would
> prefer us to limit ourselves to what CF users require, expanding as requested.
> Allowing multiple external authorities would have the further drawback that
> there could be more than one way to represent a particular projection, which
> would make life harder for the users of data.

i agree we dont necessrily want to endorse all the complexities of outside
standards. OTOH, we should reuse the useful parts, theres no reason to make up
new names and parameters. a middle ground would be to officially endorse only
what gets explicitly included in the CF Appendix, but to explicitly identify the
"authority" from where it comes.

>>2) since its highly likely that many variables will share a projection, we
>>should have an option to factor them out, eg:
>>

> I'm afraid I'm not in favour of this proposal. In general we have preferred
> to duplicate metadata on a per-variable basis, because this makes it easier to
> distribute and copy variables between files, and also simplifies software
> which processes the data (and hence may change some variables but want to leave
> others unaffected). Hence we have reduced the number of global attributes and
> recommended attributes on variables where relevant. It wastes a bit of space,
> but this is generally minor.

yes, im not worried about space, but coherence. variable that share the same
coordinate system constitute a very special group; for example derived
quantities can automatically be generated by examining the group.

however, discovering these groups can be done at a higher level, so i can
understand your motivations to keep the variables independent.

>>3) its important that the x and the y coordinates be identified, and that they
>>be understood to be coordinates on the specified projection plane. You could say
>>something like:
>>
>> "Variables representing the x and y coordinates on the projection plane must
>>always explicitly include the units attribute; there is no default value. The
>>units attribute will be a string formatted as per the udunits.dat file. The
>>recommended unit of latitude is km. The variable representing the x and y
>>coordinates must have an attribute axisType="x" and "y" respectively."
>>

> The purpose of the mapping information is to tell the software how to
> compute the actual lat and lon from the x and y - yes?

yes

> I suppose that the x
> and y should have units which are specified for the individual projections.
> For the rotated pole mapping that we have defined, x and y are in degrees
> (of longitude and latitude in the rotated system).
>
> The axis attribute may or may not be appropriate. It depends whether x and y
> are in any sense "like" longitude and latitude.

i have in mind the class of projections which are mappings onto a "projection
plane"; the units are typically km on the projection plane. i am not thinking
about the rotated pole type projections.

is there already a meaning of "axis" in CF that this would interfere with?

>>5) FGDC would be a good start
>>
>>i would be happy to compile these for your appendix if you'd like.
>>

> Thank you. It would be very helpful to have proposals for those projections
> that are needed.

ok, ill try to get a list back soon.

i dont really care about the syntax as long as the semantics are clear. but we
definitely need this soon if we are going to use CF conventions.