⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Polar Stereographic Projection in CF

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 10:27:57 -0600

IMHO, its important to store the actual projection. So the base coordinate
system is x,y in units (typically) of "km on the projection plane". hopefully
you are using a standard projection (eg polar stereographic), and then you use
some well-known way of specifying the projection, eg FGDC. knowing the
projection is necessary to allow full interoperability with GIS. This doesnt
cost much, just 2 1D coordinate variables.

In addition, you might want to encode the lat/lon positions of each grid point,
using the 2D coordinate axes as per section 5.2. This costs 2 2D variables in
storage, which may or may not be small compared to the size of the file.

I dont see anywhere in the CF that standardizes how to specify the
projection(?). I think its very important, perhaps it could be done for the next
version ?