⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Three questions

From: Burkhardt.Rockel at gkss.de <Burkhardt.Rockel>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:33:53 +0200

Hi,

I am implementing netCDF as I/O option in a regional forecast and climate
model of the atmosphere and try to follow the CF-conventions. Three
questions arises:
1. The co-ordinate system is rotated lat/lon. I found no information in
the CF-conventions how to handle this. Would the "north_pole" attribute
as described in the GDT-conventions a possibility?
2. The model uses an Arakawa-C grid. Therefore U and V velocities are
shifted half a grid box. I also found no information in the CF-conventions
how to handle this. There may be at least two possibilities:
a. defining an attribute "grid_shift" that would be grid_shift=0.5,0. for
U and grid_shift=0.,0.5 for V
b. defining two additional co-ordinate fields that contain the shifted
values
What do you think?
3. The attribute "cell_method" applied to time is like the "time range
indicator" in the GRIB format definitions (if I understand it right). The
cell_method can be minimum, maximum, mean and so forth. What is the reason
that accumulated values are not considered? Wouldn't it be more consistent
to allow also "sum" or "accumulated" as a cell_method?

Best Regards
Burkhardt

-----------
Dr. Burkhardt Rockel